Radically Open Security is the world's first not-for-profit computer security consultancy company. We are prototyping an innovative new business model - using a Dutch "Fiscaal Fondswervende Instelling" (Fiscal Fundraising Institution) to provide a commercial front-end that sends 90% of our profits tax-free to a backend foundation (Stichting NLnet) that has supported open-source, Internet research, and digital rights organizations for almost 20 years. The other 10% of our profits will go to an employee profit-sharing scheme, in which the secretary accumulates profit-sharing rights as quickly as the CEO. Additionally, due to our low management/overhead costs, we can afford to pay competitive wages to our computer security consultants.
There are similar constructions in the world (B-corporations, Mozilla, etc..), but we tackle things from a slightly different angle. Our idealism fuels our growth.. it helps us to hire idealistic A-list security experts, and to find like-minded customers who want to use their security budget as a "vote" to support socially responsible entrepreneurship.
We see ourselves as "hacking a new business model" for prototyping an ideal company -- that optimizes for benefit to the world (customers, employees, society) as opposed to profit motive (shareholders, investors, founders). Our hope is that, in a few years from now, we might inspire others to setup similar sustainable "not for profit businesses" in other industries. Call us dreamers, but we hope that we can help to move society forward in this way.
Are you a hacker or security expert? Work for us! Are you a company/organization that needs computer security services? Buy from us! Are you a student or volunteer that is interested in helping us out? If so, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to have you be a part of our unique collective of hackers and researchers!